One of my absolute favorite meals of all time has got to be the humble macro bowl. It’s a good “clean out the fridge and pantry” kinda meal, and the sky’s the limit in terms of ingredients and dressings to use.
Macrobiotic meals in general consist of a nutritionally dense mix of:
- whole grains
When you toss all of these yummy items in a bowl…tah-dah! Macro bowl.
I like to cook up a big batch of grains early in the week — usually brown rice, quinoa, or millet. For vegetables, it’s whatever we have on hand and typically depends on the season. Sweet potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, brussels sprouts, etc. Beans can be whatever you’d like! I rotate between chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, and aduki beans. Greens can be kale, collards, swiss chard, or anything else that you enjoy. My top two seaweed choices are usually wakame or dulse.
For this dish, I opted for a super simple dressing (if you can even call it a dressing!): a simple drizzle of tahini with a generous helping of Cholula hot sauce. There are endless dressing options, and I’ll certainly share some of my favorites. But I just needed to get this in my belly tonight!
SWISS CHARD CHICKPEA MACRO BOWL
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Nutritional Info: 269 calories, 10 g fat, 39 g carbohydrates, 10 g of fiber, 11 g of protein
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 8
– 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
– 1 cup swiss chard, raw
– 1/3 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 1/3 cup broccoli coins (the product of peeling + slicing typically unused broccoli stems! Try it!)
– 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
– 1 Tbsp crumbled dulse
– 1/3 cup sliced cucumbers
– sprinkle of nutritional yeast
– 1 Tbsp tahini
– drizzle Cholula hot sauce
1. Cook brown rice.
2. While rice is cooking, prep the rest of your ingredients
3. Combine in a big ol’ bowl, top with dressing, chow down!