I have such fond memories from my childhood of homemade pizza nights, and of my mom trying to enlist my help in rolling out the pizza dough…an activity that sounded fun initially, but one that I lacked the patience for. It’s still one of the things I dislike the most about making pizza, but it’s a necessary evil. That and I refuse to spend $5+ on a pre-made and frozen pizza crust. So maybe it’s a combination of frugality and stubbornness. I’ve seen the light, and instead of making my own dough, something I know how to do but prefer not to, we usually buy it from the pizza joint down the street. They give you a HUGE container full of it, enough for two large pizzas, all for $3! Next time you make your own pizza, try going to a pizza place and asking if they sell dough.
Homemade pizza night is always a big hit — whether it’s just the two of us or we’re having friends over to hang out. It’s easy, customizable, and makes the apartment smell incredible. When we adopted a vegan lifestyle, a little part of me was worried about what I’d do if we had people over. After all, when you think pizza you think ooey gooey cheese. And telling people that you’re using vegan cheese instead of what they’re used to, it might set off some alarms.
But this could not be further from the truth! As a former self-professed cheese addict (a real thing, I swear), I can honestly say that Daiya Mozzarella Shreds totally hit the spot on this pizza. They give it that cheesy, melty, ooey gooey appearance that people are used to…all without the nasty stuff in actual cheese. Oh, and if you typically use jarred pizza sauce, do me a favor and just try making the sauce below. It takes less than 2 minutes and there is no cooking involved. It will blow your mind, and you’ll never again be able to go back to the store-bought stuff! No salt, no oil, and sweetened with a few dates…it may not be traditionally Italian, but then again neither is the Prego stuff from the store. 😉
VEGGIE SUPREME VEGAN PIZZA
Serving Size: 1 slice
Nutritional Info: 190 calories, 4.2 g fat, 34.4 g carbohydrates, 3.6 g of fiber, 5.8 g of protein
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 5
– 1 package pre-made pizza dough, or your own if making yourself
– 1 cup Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
– 1 cup diced peppers
– 1 cup diced mushrooms
– 1 cup diced sweet onions
– 28 oz canned plum tomatoes
– 3 dates
– 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1. In a blender, combine canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and dates. Blend for 1 minute until fully combined.
2. Pre-heat oven to 475 and start rolling out pizza dough on floured surface.
3. I sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom of the pan or pizza stone so the dough doesn’t stick, but you can also cover with a piece of aluminum foil. Rub the top of the dough with a little bit of olive oil, which will get you that perfect crispy crust!
4. Layer sauce, mozzarella shreds, and toppings and bake for 20-22 minutes, checking around the 18 minute mark to see how it’s looking.